Friday, July 25, 2008

Denver, Week 2

I am not going to write a blog like I did last week, because last week's blog took me four hours to write, and I just don't have that kind of energy right now, so I am just going to touch upon the highlights.

The staging process is still moving at light-speed pace. It's only the second week, and already we're going into blocking rehearsals, where we can learn where to enter and exit for each song, and where everybody is going to be. It was really interesting, because we have such a huge cast, (95 people) and a tiny space in which everyone needs to fit (about 20ft by 7ft). Needless to say that I ran over a lot of people's feet, and I had to be extra aware of what was going on, because I almost got elbowed in the face a couple of times. Who knew Up with People would turn into a contact sport? After the last couple of days of blocking, I was really happy they make the cast take out accident insurance! The show looks spectacular. It's got a couple of pretty new features that they're trying out for the first time since 1990-something, so that's über-exciting.

The closer we get to the show, the more I am impatient to actually get on the road to start doing Community Impact things, and Regional Learning excursions, and etc. Today we had our first day without any rehearsal stuff, where we toured the Colorado capital building, and then set out on a factfinding scavenger hunt. The Colroado capitol is pretty nice. It seemed like it was smaller than the Maine capitol, but maybe they're about the same size... who knows. The capitol was built in 1908, and so it's around 100 years old, and everything is pretty much original. What's been the most interesting for me is the Colorado history, because it begins after everyone settled the East, and it's kind of strange, because the word 'pilgrim' never came up in the tour narration...

After that, we just walked all around Denver trying to gather some facts, like who Denver is named after (J.W. Denver) and how many blocks the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall covers (16)... It was extra cool, because our team had three Coloradians on it, so we definitely had the advantage. It was so cool to walk around with everybody, because I got included in some of the the crazy pictures, and got to know a couple of the staff better. Ellen, one of the Education Coordinators on the road, sang me a song designed to help people remember the order of the presidents. I deifinitely want to learn it before the end of the tour, not only because it's a great thing to pull out at a party, or a bar, but it also speaks to my inner nerd, which is always good.

The highlight of the the day was definitely going into Jamba Juice for the very first time. For those of you in the east who are unfamiliar of the Jamba Juice franchise, think Starbucks, but with smoothies instead of coffee. It was really good. I, being as anti-fruit as I am, decided on the "Peanut Butter Moo'd" with an energy boost. The boosts are little vitamin shots that they add to the drink to give you a certain thing, like energy. I was expecting a huge jump in my energy, but it never came. Oh, well...

I think that is all I am going to write right now... I am beyond tired, and I have a flight of stairs to descend before sleeping the day away. At least I hope I sleep the day away. Last "weekend," I only slept until 9:30... very disappointing. This weekend is actually a weekend, and not a day off, because there's a wedding taking place on Saturday at the complex where we rehearse. This will probably be the only true weekend we get on the tour, so I am going to savor it as much as I can.

I'll end this post with an itinerary change. Our city in Arizona will either be Sahurita or Green Valley, and it looks like we're spending two weeks in South Dakota, going to Aberdeen before heading off to Sioux Falls. I'll change the schedule on the side when I'm not so lazy.

Later!

No comments: