Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Up with People: the Kevin Bacon of Non-Profit Organizations

Slowly, but surely, everything major that I've had to deal with for my "trip of a lifetime" has been coming along quite nicely. Yesterday, I went to the Alliance of Maine Credit Union, (which so happens to be one of the best in the state), to sign the loan papers, and ended up talking to the loan officer for about an hour. It turns out that the UwP theme song doesn't lie when it says "you meet 'em wherever you go," because every single loan officer I talked to there is friends with an Uppie. We may just be the Kevin Bacon of the Non-Profit Organizations. I wonder who I should talk to to get that slogan changed. "Bringing the World Together" just isn't doing it for me anymore...

In other news, Mark, the wheelchair guy, met up with me today and dropped off a snazzy wheelchair for me to try out. The first run went okay. I am a lot better going backwards and downhill, but the other two directions will come eventually. The armrests kind of got in the way, so once we figure out how to take those off, and we figure out how to have me not leaning back as much, hopefully it will be smooth sailing from there. If not, there's always the scooter option. "Hakuna matata," is what I always say.

Ummm... so, yeah. I guess that's it. Not a very exciting post, but I promise you that they will get better once I'm out there doing stuff.

Until next time!

No comments: